Thursday, July 2, 2009

Items My Lousy Neighbors Recycle

recycling bin Pictures, Images and Photos
My neighbors like to make a show of recycling. They'll put their bin out with one item in it and then have loads of trash bags filled with paper, cans, and plastic containers. I've tried to help them understand that most of their "trash" can be recycled, but it's not high on their priority list. The one item they do usually recycle is just so bizarre and foolish that I am half laughing, half fuming when I see it. I plan to keep a list of these things just for my own amusement. I'm sure I'll be adding to this in the future.

1. Bag of Dog Shit: I guess they decided that it was perfectly acceptable to recycle a large Walmart plastic bag filled with their dog's excrement for the week. Unfortunately, the recycling men did not feel that way and tossed it to the sidewalk. It was a windy day and that bag o' shit whipped around our street for hours. Eventually it was no more and I wondered if a hand from Heaven reached down and tossed it to a landfill.

2. Opened and Filled Box of Pizza: My neighbors had enough of their pizza and instead of throwing the pizza away and recycling the box, they just put the entire box and its leftovers in the bin. The recycling men tossed the pizza to the sidewalk and after the ants had their share, some crows came and recycled it in their bellies.

3. Potted Dead Plant: This was this week's recycling offering and what spurred this post. A plant died and instead of removing the plant and rinsing out the dirt, it was tossed into the bin. It was then tossed out into their yard when the collection guys showed up.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

In our neighborhood, they recently switched from recycling bins to a full-sized recycling trash can for each home. On the lid is printed instructions for what can go in the can and what is Not Allowed. The list of Not Allowed items includes: toys, plastic bags and TIRES. I never realized there was a problem with people actually trying to put tires in with the recycling.

Unknown said...

SHUT UP...omg #1 just cracked me up and then I wanted to vomit a little.

Kelly L said...

funny -

Jessica said...

Daisy: I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbors recycled tires, they must have not had any to discard lately.

Stacie, laughing and vomiting often go hand in hand, I have it in my poll this week!

Kelly, thanks for stopping by!