Saturday, May 16, 2009

When Animals Attack: The Bull

bull Pictures, Images and Photos
When we lived in upstate New York, we rented a house with 100 acres. I spent much of my time wandering outdoors with my goats and dog trotting after me. It was an idyllic time and I hope that one day my kids will be able to experience the freedom of roaming about in nature.

There was one year that the landlord decided to rent out some of the land to a farmer and his cows. They were all female except for one bull and they stayed in an enclosed field surrounded by electric fences. Those electric fences were extremely appealing to me. I liked to take stalks of Timothy grass and touch the fences just to get shocked. I love running and jumping over them like they were hurdles o' death in my own private Olympics.

When I wasn't messing with the fences, I liked to study the cows, especially how they behaved around those fences. They always shied away from them. Knowing this, my 11 year old mind started to put a plan into action; I was going to bait the bull and use the fences as my secret weapon.

I had seen in cartoons that bulls were enraged by the color red. Now I didn't have a matador's cape, but I did have a bright red, large, plastic bat and I figured that would do. Once I had it in my hands, I set out running for the cows. It was a thrilling run and I was mentally patting myself on the back for being so bold and daring. I slowed down once I reached the cows and carefully went to approach the bull. The cows were used to my pesky presence so really didn't react at first, even the bull just stared at me blankly. I tried to wave the bat in his face, but he didn't respond. It was frustrating, but I was determined not to give up.

I started to scream and wave the bat dangerously close to his face and suddenly something in his face shifted. It was the true anger I was looking for and I sprang back. He started to charge after me and I bolted! It was time for the second part of my plan. I ran with this bull on my heels hoping that I could reach the fences alive. After all the practice I had jumping them, I sailed right over that electric wire. I fell to the ground and put to my hand to my chest, terrified. I looked back and saw that the bull must have stopped chasing me quite awhile ago. He had no real interest in harming me, just wanted to give a small threat. It didn't matter, my mission was accomplished.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story! How old were you? When I look back to all the stupid things that I did when I was a kid, it makes me cringe just thinking about if it was one of my kids. My dad bought me a 3-wheeler when I was in 5th grade. And then went on to tell me not to stop for the cops cuz they would impound it and keep it. (They really did things like that back in the day) I had quite a few really good chases and they never got the 3-wheeler. I actually drove it down a major road to ditch them. They never saw that one coming!

john said...

well i guess the bull did get you scared...threat or no threat i would of been out of there.

i cant find your drop entrecard to drop on you.

Jessica said...

SonyaAnn, I was 11 at the time. That sounds like fun running from the law. I've done that many, many times as a kid. Probably why I still loathe law enforecment today!

John, I will go back to your blog and leave the card.

A.Marie said...

Great Story!! I would have been leaving a blazing line of fire as I ran out of there! :) I'm telling you what, you were lucky you weren't killed!! :)

Jessica said...

A.Marie, yes, I've done too many dangerous things like that I'm afraid to say.